Officially it's called an adenoma

You can Google Non-Functioning Pituitary Adenoma if you want detailed information but in a nutshell it’s a benign tumor in my pituitary gland.

Three times, it's grown to the point where it affected my optic nerves and pituitary function. Surgery was performed Feb. 2007 again in Feb. 2009 and yet again Nov. 11, 2010 to remove as much of it as possible.

My vision was preserved in each case however I've lost Growth Hormone production and am on thyroid medication to help those levels.

I had radiation after my last surgery. The risk is I could over time loose all pituitary function. The hope is it will slow or stop the persistent tumor's aggressive growth.

1/12/11

A week and a half later

Day to day details repetitious, boring.  This is when news of note comes slowly. 

Fatigue is still high, lessening only a fraction every day.  I remind myself not to measure progress by the hour or day but against how I felt last week.  I'm able to concentrate longer.  I can read a book without paying for the exercise with a headache.  I vacuumed the living room, took me several days, had to stop to rest all to often but hey I did it.  Sad thing is now it needs it again : ( 

Odd fact:  As tired as I am, as often as I am, I still suffer insomnia, have for over a year now.  Without a sleep aid, I don't sleep. 

Am I better?  Yes. 
Am I as well as last summer?  No. 
Will I improve?  Each day has that promise. 

Patience and time is required. 

No comments: