Officially it's called an adenoma

You can Google Non-Functioning Pituitary Adenoma if you want detailed information but in a nutshell it’s a benign tumor in my pituitary gland.

Three times, it's grown to the point where it affected my optic nerves and pituitary function. Surgery was performed Feb. 2007 again in Feb. 2009 and yet again Nov. 11, 2010 to remove as much of it as possible.

My vision was preserved in each case however I've lost Growth Hormone production and am on thyroid medication to help those levels.

I had radiation after my last surgery. The risk is I could over time loose all pituitary function. The hope is it will slow or stop the persistent tumor's aggressive growth.

9/9/11

MRI results

As expected this MRI was undramatic.  The report is only a couple paragraphs and ends with this summery.  A stable examination compatible with pituitary adenoma.  Translation the tumor remains the same.  According to Dr. Fuss, my oncologist these kind of tumors rarely shrink all that much but turn into scar tissue.  The last line of the report is stable left lateral ventricle atrial lesion likely representing intraventricular meningioma.  Translation my other tumor that has had the good manners not to trouble me remains the same.

In December I've a blood work appt. to check on my pituitary function. Since I had radiation I can gradually lost function over the course of years so they'll continue to monitor me. I hope my TSH is within normal range then so Dr. doesn't decrease my thyroid med.  I still tired way too easy IMHO and the thought of even less energy doesn't thrill me.  Doctors say be patient.  I'm still working on that.

No comments: