Officially it's called an adenoma

You can Google Non-Functioning Pituitary Adenoma if you want detailed information but in a nutshell it’s a benign tumor in my pituitary gland.

Three times, it's grown to the point where it affected my optic nerves and pituitary function. Surgery was performed Feb. 2007 again in Feb. 2009 and yet again Nov. 11, 2010 to remove as much of it as possible.

My vision was preserved in each case however I've lost Growth Hormone production and am on thyroid medication to help those levels.

I had radiation after my last surgery. The risk is I could over time loose all pituitary function. The hope is it will slow or stop the persistent tumor's aggressive growth.

3/8/09

First post surgery appoinment March 2009

My cortisol function tested normal which is good news Testing for all other hormones has to wait until my mid April appointment, pituitary still swollen from surgery. Pathology on tissue revealed it was benign and negative for hormones which again confirms it's non-functioning.

So I asked the nice physician's assistant why I was told in the hospital I might be put on medication. She brought up the 2007 report and allowed us to read it. It basically said the tissue then had some cells with a variegated positive which she explained meant it had some prolactin but not the concentrated amounts a prolactinoma would have. So it IS non functioning and there is no medication I can take to suppress growth. I'm glad we got that straightened out.

Then asked about my low normal T4. She explained that although my level is much lower than it had been, I'm functioning well enough that it doesn't justify risking the side effects of medication to raise it at this point. If my health declines and over time the low normal result remains consistent then taking action may be considered. Man it felt good to have questions reasonably and respectfully answered.

We were cautioned surgery could've changed everything or nothing. So I'm taking each day as it comes and hoping for the best. The next round of tests are in April.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

Hey there, EC. I'm so glad to hear that you had some feedback from your doctor. I hope that the April appointments bring you what you deserve - positive comments as to your condition and the care you're receiving! Take care, Jamie