Officially it's called an adenoma

You can Google Non-Functioning Pituitary Adenoma if you want detailed information but in a nutshell it’s a benign tumor in my pituitary gland.

Three times, it's grown to the point where it affected my optic nerves and pituitary function. Surgery was performed Feb. 2007 again in Feb. 2009 and yet again Nov. 11, 2010 to remove as much of it as possible.

My vision was preserved in each case however I've lost Growth Hormone production and am on thyroid medication to help those levels.

I had radiation after my last surgery. The risk is I could over time loose all pituitary function. The hope is it will slow or stop the persistent tumor's aggressive growth.

4/30/10

End of week three

Chris says I'm continuing to improve. I'll take that on trust. It's hard for me to judge. I think my energy level is better but really it had nowhere to go but up.

Headaches continued to dog me, some quite nasty ones had me in tears.  I worried that the medicene that was starting to help me would end up causing a bad enough side effect I couldn't continue it.  However the last couple of days, I haven't had a single one. I'm hoping I've adjusted enough I'm done with them.

Emotionally I still feel raw. I'm easily overwhelmed. I'm trying to be more interactive, trying to post daily on facebook and my writing board. Not doing as well on returning calls and emails :(.

My body seems little different than last week but I haven't back slid.  It's early in the process. I'm only on the initial dosage and so I have to remind myself to be patient.

I thought I'd gotten pretty good at giving myself the shots but the last two I managed to hit veins. Just a little blood, a little stinging and a lot of sheepishness.

Overall I believe the GH is worth it and Chris says he's certain it is.

No comments: