Officially it's called an adenoma

You can Google Non-Functioning Pituitary Adenoma if you want detailed information but in a nutshell it’s a benign tumor in my pituitary gland.

Three times, it's grown to the point where it affected my optic nerves and pituitary function. Surgery was performed Feb. 2007 again in Feb. 2009 and yet again Nov. 11, 2010 to remove as much of it as possible.

My vision was preserved in each case however I've lost Growth Hormone production and am on thyroid medication to help those levels.

I had radiation after my last surgery. The risk is I could over time loose all pituitary function. The hope is it will slow or stop the persistent tumor's aggressive growth.

10/29/10

Why go to OHSU Pituitary Center?

Their expertise.

I didn't always believe so. At first I went where my primary doc sent me. A neurologist in Albany who greeted me with 'Why are you here?' Didn't inspire confidence.

He referred me to Endocrinologist in Salem who was on recommended list on a respected pituitary website. I trusted my care to the 'expert' who didn't check hormone levels, relied on one radiologist's suggestion of the type of tumor I had and referred me to a Salem surgeon, a nice man, but not an expert on pituitary tumors. I was happy to receive care less than an hour from home. After surgery they followed me for a few months, checked a few hormone levels but not all, ran a few MRI's and said I had a clean bill of health. I was a miracle, all tumor gone all function remained, I was good to go. They even released my care back to my primary doctor.

But I wasn't fine. My current surgeon, an expert on pituitary tumors, reviewed all my MRI's following that first surgery. He could see plainly the tumor remained from my first post surgery scan and was clearly growing in the scans that followed.

Is it a pain to have a four hour round trip every time I need to have a doctor visit or tests related to the pituitary. YES. It makes for a very long day, especially since I try to schedule all needed tests and appointments on that day so we don't have to make a million trips. BUT even when the news is bad, the wait is long, blood is drawn for the countless time and some personalities clash I know - the pituitary unit at OHSU truly have the expertise to treat me. There is comfort in that.

No comments: