Officially it's called an adenoma

You can Google Non-Functioning Pituitary Adenoma if you want detailed information but in a nutshell it’s a benign tumor in my pituitary gland.

Three times, it's grown to the point where it affected my optic nerves and pituitary function. Surgery was performed Feb. 2007 again in Feb. 2009 and yet again Nov. 11, 2010 to remove as much of it as possible.

My vision was preserved in each case however I've lost Growth Hormone production and am on thyroid medication to help those levels.

I had radiation after my last surgery. The risk is I could over time loose all pituitary function. The hope is it will slow or stop the persistent tumor's aggressive growth.

12/15/10

4 1/2 weeks post surgery

How am I?

Mostly recovered from the surgery. Headaches have lessened. I've had days without one but on average I start the day without one and end the day with one, usually slight now though. It's impossible to know if that's from recovering,  a poorly functioning pituitary or eye strain since my glasses don't help as they should.

Light still bothers my eyes and leads to a headache if I don't manage it. Doctor doesn't know why but doesn't think it's dangerous or a sign of something horrid wrong.

I tire easy, often lethargic. Causes: recovering from surgery, lack of GH and/or it's probable that I've other hormonal deficiencies now. Whatever the cause the result is familiar and annoying. I can not express how tired I am of being tired.

I'm cold, wearing layers of clothing, a hoodie or sweatshirt, long johns and a hat often inside. That's hormonal. Until radiation is complete, and I can go back on GH, it's something I'll have to live with.

I've a hard time concentrating, brain foggy and forgetful. Hormonal.

I've varying degrees of nausea daily. Doctor thinks it's hormonal - shocking I know - it could just go away eventually as the pituitary heals or the tests on the 21st will show something low and they'll put me on replacement. It's only the growth hormone replacement that must wait until after I'm radiated.

My nose is back to normal. I can sneeze without crying. Cold air doesn't make me cringe. If my head hurts I only need a couple ibuprofen which is a huge improvement.

I'm doing okay, holding my own. I'm impatient though. I want testing and the radiation done, my hormones balanced and my life back.

No comments: