Officially it's called an adenoma

You can Google Non-Functioning Pituitary Adenoma if you want detailed information but in a nutshell it’s a benign tumor in my pituitary gland.

Three times, it's grown to the point where it affected my optic nerves and pituitary function. Surgery was performed Feb. 2007 again in Feb. 2009 and yet again Nov. 11, 2010 to remove as much of it as possible.

My vision was preserved in each case however I've lost Growth Hormone production and am on thyroid medication to help those levels.

I had radiation after my last surgery. The risk is I could over time loose all pituitary function. The hope is it will slow or stop the persistent tumor's aggressive growth.

12/11/10

Simulation

During this visit they plan the best way to send radiation to the tumor. A radiation therapist will have me lie on an examination table and stay as still as possible then she'll help move my body into the best position for treatment. I'll need to stay in that position while the medical team plans the best way to give me radiation. They'll then create a special mask for me to use during treatment in order to keep my head in the exact position for however many treatments I'll need.

The therapist may need to make some temporary marks on my skin and/or place a few small, permanent tattoo marks to show where the radiation should go. (Wow a tattoo I'd like a phoenix please.) These tattoos are about the size of a freckle. (bummer) They may also take some X-rays.

As soon as Dr. Fuss reviews the test results and makes my treatment plan, I'll learn what option I get and a appointment/s.

No comments: