Officially it's called an adenoma

You can Google Non-Functioning Pituitary Adenoma if you want detailed information but in a nutshell it’s a benign tumor in my pituitary gland.

Three times, it's grown to the point where it affected my optic nerves and pituitary function. Surgery was performed Feb. 2007 again in Feb. 2009 and yet again Nov. 11, 2010 to remove as much of it as possible.

My vision was preserved in each case however I've lost Growth Hormone production and am on thyroid medication to help those levels.

I had radiation after my last surgery. The risk is I could over time loose all pituitary function. The hope is it will slow or stop the persistent tumor's aggressive growth.

12/7/10

The first radiation therapy visit is called

the consultation visit. We'll get to watch a video, meet Dr. Fuss and learn how radiation therapy applies to my tumor.  He'll explain my treatment options, the possible side effects of radiation and how they can be managed.

Surgery alters the size and placement of the tumor but it'll be at least a few more weeks before the surgical swelling is gone so they can do an accurate MRI.  However since the pituitary hangs out beneath the brain it's helpful :) to be accurate with targeting.

The surgical team scheduled an MRI in February but this doctor will likely alter the time frame to best suit my treatment.  I'm hoping for as soon as possible. 

I'll need further appointments to get ready for radiation, the next one is called the Simulation visit.

No comments: