Officially it's called an adenoma

You can Google Non-Functioning Pituitary Adenoma if you want detailed information but in a nutshell it’s a benign tumor in my pituitary gland.

Three times, it's grown to the point where it affected my optic nerves and pituitary function. Surgery was performed Feb. 2007 again in Feb. 2009 and yet again Nov. 11, 2010 to remove as much of it as possible.

My vision was preserved in each case however I've lost Growth Hormone production and am on thyroid medication to help those levels.

I had radiation after my last surgery. The risk is I could over time loose all pituitary function. The hope is it will slow or stop the persistent tumor's aggressive growth.

12/28/10

First treatment

Had my first dose today.  Took longer to run the set up scans.  Surprised when they said I was done.  I drove most of the way up with Chris sleeping in the passenger seat (he works night shift) then he took over at a rest area about 20 miles out.  He got some rest in the car while I was treated, drove for a while to make sure I was okay, tolerated my treatment all right (and we picked up younger boys from our eldest's place where they'd spent the night) then I drove us the rest of the way.  I felt wiped by the time we reached home.

I worry about my hubby, his sleep so broken up.  He's coming with me each time, worried about how tired I am and may become,  to make certain I'm good to drive.  Wish there was high speed rail from here to OHSU or Star Trek beaming technology :) 

It's going to be a long week.

No comments: