Officially it's called an adenoma

You can Google Non-Functioning Pituitary Adenoma if you want detailed information but in a nutshell it’s a benign tumor in my pituitary gland.

Three times, it's grown to the point where it affected my optic nerves and pituitary function. Surgery was performed Feb. 2007 again in Feb. 2009 and yet again Nov. 11, 2010 to remove as much of it as possible.

My vision was preserved in each case however I've lost Growth Hormone production and am on thyroid medication to help those levels.

I had radiation after my last surgery. The risk is I could over time loose all pituitary function. The hope is it will slow or stop the persistent tumor's aggressive growth.

12/18/10

The Simulation & MRI

The simulation was fast.  I lay on the table.  The therapist put the warm plastic over my face, small hole for nose and fastened it down on either side   It molded to my features, not unpleasant but odd.  I could feel my blood pumping hard across my cheeks.  For some reason I thought of Han Solo being flash frozen. 

The therapist ran a quick CT scan, 5 minutes maybe - table is attached, slid me in and out.  He marked on the mask then freed me.  My mask went into a cupboard.  I get to take it home after I'm done with radiation.  Paintball anyone?

Next I had an intensive MRI.  Usually my MRIs take about 30 minutes but not this time.  Dr. Fuss must be very precise.  Two hours was a very long time to be in a small loud tube. 

I had contrast with both the CT & MRI so they're having me drink tons to flush it out of my system, my kidneys.  I feel worn out and my head is killing me.

The therapist gave me my first radiation appointment as I was leaving.  12/27/10 at 12:30.  We still don't know the number of treatments.  The doctor was reviewing my scans Thursday night and said he'd get email me, probably Friday, to let me know.  After waiting all day, my dear hubby doing his best to keep me from going batty - movies - brownies -  he's cute - the doctor never did email. 

Now on one hand I know from painful experience if there was something horrid or needing immediate attention I'd have been contacted so that's good.  However that's small comfort.  So soon after surgery I'm not worried that the tumor has grown again.  I'm sure that the good doctor was merely busy with other patients who have life threatening conditions.

BUT selfishly I want to know the number so we can try to make a plan.  The 5 days a week for 5 to 6 weeks treatment plan seems daunting.  I don't know how we'll handle that.  I try not to think about it too much.  We'll cross that bridge only if we must.

The waiting is hard because there's nothing I can do to effect the result.  They weren't tests I could have practised or studied for, it made no difference if I rested or not, exercised or not, ate junk or healthy, lost or gained weight, argued my point of view or plead my case - the results are what they are. 

My hope, my Christmas wish, my prayer, is Dr. Delashaw reduced the tumor enough so it's safe for me to do the single high dose.

No comments: