Officially it's called an adenoma

You can Google Non-Functioning Pituitary Adenoma if you want detailed information but in a nutshell it’s a benign tumor in my pituitary gland.

Three times, it's grown to the point where it affected my optic nerves and pituitary function. Surgery was performed Feb. 2007 again in Feb. 2009 and yet again Nov. 11, 2010 to remove as much of it as possible.

My vision was preserved in each case however I've lost Growth Hormone production and am on thyroid medication to help those levels.

I had radiation after my last surgery. The risk is I could over time loose all pituitary function. The hope is it will slow or stop the persistent tumor's aggressive growth.

11/30/10

After Surgery

Adrenal insufficiency is the deficiency of one or more hormones made by the adrenal glands. Pituitary disorders, tumors and/or surgery can cause low levels of the adrenal hormone, Cortisol.

As a pre caution I was given hydrocortisone following surgery and took it once a day until 11/23/10. On that day we drove up to OHSU so they could test me. The hope always is that I've retained enough function so I don't have to take the steroid any longer.

Ever drank a ton of caffeine trying to stay awake when you're exhausted? That's how Hydrocortisone makes me feel. Internally jittery, like I can feel my heartbeat and once a week or so passes from surgery though I'm still easily tired I struggle with insomnia.

If I ever have to be on it for longer than a few weeks I'm told my body would adjust to it.

No comments: