Officially it's called an adenoma

You can Google Non-Functioning Pituitary Adenoma if you want detailed information but in a nutshell it’s a benign tumor in my pituitary gland.

Three times, it's grown to the point where it affected my optic nerves and pituitary function. Surgery was performed Feb. 2007 again in Feb. 2009 and yet again Nov. 11, 2010 to remove as much of it as possible.

My vision was preserved in each case however I've lost Growth Hormone production and am on thyroid medication to help those levels.

I had radiation after my last surgery. The risk is I could over time loose all pituitary function. The hope is it will slow or stop the persistent tumor's aggressive growth.

11/30/10

Are all types of pituitary radiation the same?

No. There are different methods of delivering radiation to the pituitary gland. Conventional (fractionated) radiation refers to delivery of a small amount of radiation every day for 4 to 5 weeks. Stereotactic radiation refers to delivery of a precisely focused beam of radiation to the remaining tumor, usually as one treatment (for example, the Gamma Knife, LINEAC, proton beam).

The decision as to which type of radiation to administer must be made only after a careful review of the MRI scan to assess the size and location of the residual tumor. A large tumor that is near the optic chiasm (eye nerves) is not suitable for stereotactic radiation because of the intensity (radiation dose) of the single treatment and risk of damage to vision. Stereotactic radiation is reserved for residual tumor that is not near the optic chiasm. Surgery is sometimes needed to remove the portion of the tumor that is near the optic chiasm so that more effective radiation therapy can be given.  This is what we're hoping was done with this surgery.

A referral to the radiologist was sent on Nov. 16th. I'm waiting to hear from his office to schedule an appointment. My endocrinologist believes I should hear from him this week. However the surgical swelling must go down then a post surgery MRI must be done before he can recommend what type of radiation needs done.

I'm still hoping for the one shot deal. The thought of a four hour daily round trip not including the time for the radiation is overwhelming. If everyone could wish for, pray for, think positive thoughts for the stereotactic - one shot- radiation I'd be most grateful.

1 comment:

Cindy said...

Lori,

I just spent a while reading up on your blog. John and I have been praying for you, Chris, and the boys.

Hang in there sister!

P.S. you are and awesome writer!

Cindy