Officially it's called an adenoma

You can Google Non-Functioning Pituitary Adenoma if you want detailed information but in a nutshell it’s a benign tumor in my pituitary gland.

Three times, it's grown to the point where it affected my optic nerves and pituitary function. Surgery was performed Feb. 2007 again in Feb. 2009 and yet again Nov. 11, 2010 to remove as much of it as possible.

My vision was preserved in each case however I've lost Growth Hormone production and am on thyroid medication to help those levels.

I had radiation after my last surgery. The risk is I could over time loose all pituitary function. The hope is it will slow or stop the persistent tumor's aggressive growth.

11/20/10

Day of Surgery

I was told to be at OHSU by 7:30am on Thursday Nov. 11th. They couldn't give me time of surgery but said I was second in line.

It was a long quiet dark drive. Countless thoughts zipping through my mind but few words spoken. It felt so familiar to park in the patient garage.  Only a little over four months have passed since Chris' spinal fusion and it was one week shy of twenty one months since my previous pituitary surgery. Too familiar by far. I felt trapped by circumstances, by the tumor, by the doctor and my steadfast husband who while he gently held my hand also assured me I wasn't leaving until they discharged me - after the surgery.

As is the typical time warping of hospitals, I was finally wheeled back into after 1:30pm. So tired and worn out by then all I wanted was for it to be done and over with.

They removed as much as possible transsphenoidally. The approach is through the sphenoid sinus, one of the facial air spaces behind the nose.  An incision was made in the back wall of the nose and the sphenoid sinus is entered directly.  Our eldest told me afterward that when told I didn't have a CSF leak, Chris looked like he wanted to hug the doctor. When I woke with no nasty packing, headaching but not so badly I wanted to rip it off, I knew instantly I wasn't leaking, heartfelt relief enveloped me. Too exhausted for a happy dance at that moment, I settled for a large smile. A small miracle to me. Many thanks to all who keep me in their thoughts and prayers that day.

BTW if my medicated memory is correct, once I was settled in my room Chris and Jason did cute happy dances on my request. :)

No comments: