Officially it's called an adenoma

You can Google Non-Functioning Pituitary Adenoma if you want detailed information but in a nutshell it’s a benign tumor in my pituitary gland.

Three times, it's grown to the point where it affected my optic nerves and pituitary function. Surgery was performed Feb. 2007 again in Feb. 2009 and yet again Nov. 11, 2010 to remove as much of it as possible.

My vision was preserved in each case however I've lost Growth Hormone production and am on thyroid medication to help those levels.

I had radiation after my last surgery. The risk is I could over time loose all pituitary function. The hope is it will slow or stop the persistent tumor's aggressive growth.

11/20/10

What's next?

I'll be back at OHSU for testing this coming Tuesday. Following surgery they put me on hydrocort, a steroid which replaces an important hormone, cortisol. Sometimes the tumor growth or the surgery can cause secondary adrenal insufficiency.

The doctor was clear that between the tumor re growing, the third surgery and the radiation, the failure of more hormones is expected. The status of my pituitary function going in wasn't great. She said most people following surgery and radiation would likely lose some/all function over a period of five to seven years. She said in my case she expects it in less than two. That's simply reality. It sucks but it is.

Hopefully the test will reveal that I can still produce that one on my own. At least for a while :) one less medication to take for as long as possible.

Also hoping my biopsy results will be in by then. Radiology won't start the scheduling process for that until they see the tissue test report.

As much as I'm not looking forward to it, I'm a rip the Band-Aid off kind of girl. I'm already feeling crappy. The sooner it's done, the sooner I can start focusing on feeling better instead of what test, what procedure is next.

No comments: