Officially it's called an adenoma

You can Google Non-Functioning Pituitary Adenoma if you want detailed information but in a nutshell it’s a benign tumor in my pituitary gland.

Three times, it's grown to the point where it affected my optic nerves and pituitary function. Surgery was performed Feb. 2007 again in Feb. 2009 and yet again Nov. 11, 2010 to remove as much of it as possible.

My vision was preserved in each case however I've lost Growth Hormone production and am on thyroid medication to help those levels.

I had radiation after my last surgery. The risk is I could over time loose all pituitary function. The hope is it will slow or stop the persistent tumor's aggressive growth.

11/20/10

How am I?

One week and one day from surgery.  I've a nagging a sinus headache, nasal congestion and raw nose. I'm taking saline nasal spray, to help keep inner irritated nose moist, decongestant to help the headache and was on strong pain medication. 

Today was my first full day with only over the counter meds and it was a little rough.  Nice to be off of the prescription stuff though, in addition to feeling out of it, woozy and/or spacey, my emotions were all over the place.  

Fatigue, my all to familiar friend had returned last month when they ceased my GH, is worse now. If my hurting head didn't make sleep uncomfortable at times, I wouldn't be out of bed much. I'm very sensitive to light and noise and retreat to my dark bedroom for hours. Over the next two-three weeks my pain should lessen, the fatigue depends on what's due to the surgery and what has a hormonal cause.

Tuesday I had blood work done. Sometimes the pituitary can mess up it's signal to the kidneys after surgery and basically flush all sorts of good stuff out of your body. My sodium and electrolytes were all fine. One more hurdle crossed.

No comments: