Officially it's called an adenoma

You can Google Non-Functioning Pituitary Adenoma if you want detailed information but in a nutshell it’s a benign tumor in my pituitary gland.

Three times, it's grown to the point where it affected my optic nerves and pituitary function. Surgery was performed Feb. 2007 again in Feb. 2009 and yet again Nov. 11, 2010 to remove as much of it as possible.

My vision was preserved in each case however I've lost Growth Hormone production and am on thyroid medication to help those levels.

I had radiation after my last surgery. The risk is I could over time loose all pituitary function. The hope is it will slow or stop the persistent tumor's aggressive growth.

11/30/10

Testing Day

The day dawns icy, cold and snowing. The boys excited about school being canceled have done what any decent teenager does to celebrate. Yep they went back to bed.

We head out extra early because of the weather. The frosty air tortures my raw sinus'. I withheld the medication as instructed and am slightly nauseous when we finally arrive in one piece and on time thanks to hubby's driving skills. We slid only once the whole trip, as we left town.

Doctor appointments and testing involves a lot of waiting. This test requires my blood to be drawn, medication given to stimulate a response, a 30 minute wait then more blood drawn. They test my initial level, then my level when stimulated also they do a basic blood panel to check my sodium and glucose and etc. to make certain I'm doing okay with those post surgery.

During this time the NP(nurse practitioner)comes in, asks some questions to see how I'm doing, and looks up my tumor's pathology report. It's fine, basically the same as last time which is at once reassuring - it didn't morph into something dastardly - and disappointing - they can't tell me why the darn thing grows back so aggressively.

However NP thinks based on my answers and her short exam that I can start to wean off the hydrocortisone. I'm to take a half dose that day and the next while we wait for the blood work to confirm I'll be all right without it.

Once I'm done there, we get to ride the tram up to the main hospital to see the nose surgeon. Interesting but the chill air is still not fun. More waiting. Then in to have the doctor's assistant shoot bitter, nasty fluid up my nose - supposed to numb it - then nasal passages examined and cleaned. The experience is overrated.

Long drive home, I'm exhausted, hurting and even though I've taken the half dose I'm struggling with nausea but trying not to make that obvious to Chris. He's scheduled to work, already minutes late and I already feel like a giant burden.

Unfortunately the nausea only gets worse, eventually I call my poor husband home. The doctors do not want me to throw up under any circumstances. He plies me with sprite and crackers as we both hope I can hold it together because I do not want to be back in the hospital. It finally eases in the wee hours. This experience too was way overrated and one I'd just as soon not repeat.

No comments: