Officially it's called an adenoma

You can Google Non-Functioning Pituitary Adenoma if you want detailed information but in a nutshell it’s a benign tumor in my pituitary gland.

Three times, it's grown to the point where it affected my optic nerves and pituitary function. Surgery was performed Feb. 2007 again in Feb. 2009 and yet again Nov. 11, 2010 to remove as much of it as possible.

My vision was preserved in each case however I've lost Growth Hormone production and am on thyroid medication to help those levels.

I had radiation after my last surgery. The risk is I could over time loose all pituitary function. The hope is it will slow or stop the persistent tumor's aggressive growth.

11/20/10

Short Stay

The doctors wouldn't aggree to send me home Thursday night.  However the surgeon was pleased that the tumor was 'soft' and therefore what he could remove was 'easily' done.  As I've posted before my tumor cannot be completely removed since part of it is about the carotid artery, which supplies the brain.

However since I didn't have a leak, I had a much shorter confinment.  I was discharged Saturday afternoon, tired, hurting but very happy to come home. 

Still not up for happy dance yet but image snoopy doing his thing for me. :)

No comments: